Anyway, Sunday night at our new member class a participant was excitedly showing me the "new" book he'd just discovered ... "What Is Anglicanism" by Urban T. Holmes ... and asked me if I'd ever read it.
"READ it!" I exclaimed. "If I had to pick the top ten books from my library it would totally be on the list!"
"And what," he asked, "would the other books be?" And so I've been thinking about that ever since. And though I could NEVER narrow my library down to just ten books, not counting the Bible or my Prayer Book -- at this particular moment in this particular Lent -- these are the other nine books I chose:
- TELLING THE TRUTH by Frederick Buechner
- THE DREAM OF GOD by Verna Dozier
- THE HEART OF CHRISTIANITY by Marcus Borg
- WE ARE THEOLOGIANS by Fredrica Harris Thompsett
- THE IRRATIONAL SEASON by Madeline L'Engle
- HEART OF FLESH by Joan Chittister (or WISDOM DISTILLED FROM THE DAILY but that's at home)
- TRAVELING MERCIES by Anne Lamott (who's coming here next week with her newest book)
- UNEXPECTED NEWS by Robert McAfee Brown
- SHE WHO IS by Elizabeth Johnson
The list could change tomorrow, but that's mine for the moment. What's yours?