Monday, November 07, 2016

One More Day; One More Time: Why #ImWithHer



"When the going gets tough, the tough light candles."
 
OK -- I made that up. But here at Casa Mountain View it's true.

Make no mistake about it -- we also [a] get going [b] keep giving [c] keep organizing and [d] keep networking ... but we also keep praying and -- in our case -- keep adding to our "Election Shrine" on the sideboard of "outward and visible signs" of what's at stake in this election representing our prayers and positive energy being sent out into the universe.

From the Hillary swag to the Betty Friedan "secular saint" candle to the Constitution to the Jordan River Holy Water given to me by my sister-in-law's Jewish partner (I know -- seriously!) it just keeps growing. Along with my conviction that this is arguably the most important election of my lifetime.

So -- on this day before Election Day -- here (one more time) is why #ImWithHer

Her cohesive commitment to dismantle the interlocking oppressions of racism, sexism and homo/transphobia and to address the root causes of economic injustice in our nation exemplifies the broad range thinking I believe we need in the White House.

She is doggedly committed to tackling the seemingly intractable issue of gun violence in our nation and to taking on the NRA to move us forward on sensible gun safety legislation.

Her support for Planned Parenthood and women's reproductive justice is tireless, proven and powerful.

Her experience as Secretary of State means there is no "learning curve" on foreign policy -- an issue I think is critical in these volatile and challenging times.

Finally, I am inspired by the aspiration to "make America whole" -- which I hear as a paraphrase of the liberty and justice for all I've been pledging to work for since I learned to put my hand over my heart and turn to the flag in kindergarten. And I am convinced in order to do that we need everyone at the table -- and that we need a President who has the hope, the vision and the track record to not only secure the advances of the past eight years but move us into the future.

This will be the 12th Presidential Election in which I've had the privilege to vote. I have never not had some reservations about the candidate I supported -- and that includes Hillary Clinton.

I wish she had been stronger earlier on LGBT Equality.
She is more of a hawk than I would like.
I disagree with her on the death penalty.

And ... all things considered ... I do not believe I ever cast a vote for a more qualified candidate for President than I did when I (early) voted for her.

I'm Susan Russell and I totally approved this message

No comments: