Saturday, April 14, 2007

File Under: Can Anything Good Come Out of This Don Imus Mess

In spite of all the pain and challenge of the Don Imus mess pointing out YET AGAIN how pervasive a blight systemic racism is on this great nation of ours here's a Letter to the Editor from today's New York Times that gives a glimpse of hope that there are a few "inches at a time" being reclaimed as we journey together toward becoming that nation of liberty and justice for ALL!

=============

To the Editor:

I’m a white, prudish suburban woman with the requisite huffy indignation for all things racist and sexist. Yet I watched Don Imus most mornings. It often made me squirm, but I could justify the puerile banter as being another part of urban culture that I just didn’t get. So I was ready to defend Mr. Imus because of the platform he provided for in-depth, high-caliber interviews.

When I saw the young women of Rutgers, I was shamed as I have never been shamed before. I suddenly saw my very real contribution to our racial divide. Indifference. I’d been willing to dismiss the denigration of African-Americans and women because it’s become common and because it suited me.

And I learned the true meaning of grace and courage from those young women.

Thank you all for showing me that I have much work to do.

Lisa Wilson
Yarmouth, Me., April 13, 2007

1 comment:

joeomar said...

Lisa Wilson stand up and fight for what is right.... I am so sick of women being discriminated, whether it is in the Corporate world, the armed forces, certain religous denominations, schools, women of color or gay. Stop the hate now. This is so old school, let it begin with us. America the beautiful......what happened......end the hate.