Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The War Doesn't Go on Vacation

Welcome to my world!

So I step away from the computer and go to make room in the kitchen for picnic preparations for our evening foray to the Hollywood Bowl and CNN mentions ... in passing ... "five more American soldiers were killed today in a helicopter crash west of Baghdad ..."

So much for the picnic.

Get the laptop cranked back up. Go to Google News and key in "helicopter." Find Reuters report ... which includes the details " ... CH-47 Chinook helicopter." Jamie's in a Blackhawk. Breathe a sigh of relief that it isn't your kid. Deal with the pang of guilt that it's somebody else's. Pull out the prayerbook.

.


O God, whose days are without end, and whose mercies cannot be numbered: Make us, we pray, deeply aware of the shortness and uncertainty of human life; and let your Holy Spirit lead us in holiness and righteousness all our days; that, when we shall have served you in our generation, we may be gathered to our ancestors ... and into the arms of your loving embrace. Amen.

7 comments:

Caminante said...

Anne and I were driving to a meeting and when we heard the news I said to her, 'Susan's son flies a copter.' we have held you in prayer all afternoon. And now that I am back on line I check here and, like you, breathe a sigh of relief but also pray for the people whose relatives have been killed.

Will said...

You and your son are in my prayers. Thank you for giving us a window into your world and a reminder about the fragility of human life. May this war be brought to an end and your son be in your arms again soon.

Suzer said...

I saw that almost immediately after I left your most recent update, and thought of you, and said a prayer for you and Jamie. I am thankful for your sake, and am praying for those who lost their loved ones today.

Stephen Bentley said...

Grace and peace to you, Susan, and prayers to the families and friends of those lost in the chopper tragedy. Continued prayers for a speedy end for this conflict.

Susan, I was digging through some pictures recently and came across a picture of Jamie during an afternoon of sailing when I lived in SoCA. I would love to share it with you. Please let me know the vest way to transmit it to you. In the meantime, happy vacation.

Anonymous said...

Dear Rev. Russell:

As I've told you before I thank your son for his service and pray that he will return home safely soon!
As a Vietnam veteran myself, let me assure you that as hard as it is to be deployed to a war zone I don't think it can be emphasized enough how much harder emotionally it is on the folks back home.
My poor mother had to live through my 13-month deployment and then immediately after I got home in 1968 my younger brother did his 1-year tour of duty in Vietnam. It nearly killed my mother with worry.
We both made it home, thankfully.
Although I don't think the war was right and that it has been prosecuted much as my war was - badly, I still honor those who serve.
Especially with the extended tours and the repeated tours many of these young men and women are now serving in the theater which are now longer than the tours of my father and uncles in World War II, which is the gold standard of service.
We will add your son's name to our military prayer list. We will also pray for peace for you as well.

A sinner saved by God's Grace.

Jim from Michigan

TransplantedOkie said...

My son comes home September 6. Maybe then I can breathe again

RonF said...

I pray for all those who are in Iraq, and that they may all return to their homes safely.