Monday, January 27, 2014

Grammy Wedding Finale


So what did I think about the mass wedding finale at last night's Grammys?

My mixed feelings included gratitude that the movement for marriage equality continues to gain such high profile momentum; delight in the broad diversity of couples exchanging rings and committing themselves to each other; appreciation that the Grammy marriage celebrations illuminated the line between civil marriage and what we consider "holy matrimony" -- and a bit of an epiphany that last night's highly publicized event gives those of us in the church who are committed to marriage equality a teachable moment about how we can continue to move both the culture and the church forward.

Was last night what I want for my wedding? Nope!

Do I rejoice and find gladness in it anyway? Yep!

Here endeth my opinion.

No comments: