Thursday, April 05, 2012

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another."

I don't remember the source of this print ... and the little bit of time I had to search for it this afternoon didn't turn up anything helpful ... but it turned up on Facebook today and I thought it an apt post for Maundy Thursday.

Years ago I had a print of it on the wall in my dining room along with a whole assortment of Last Supper art ... happy for the reminder today and for another window into the radical, transforming power of the "new commandment" we celebrate on this Maudy Thursday!

Blessings, all!

======

UPDATE! Someone who evidently wasn't working on a sermon for Good Friday and had time to dig deeper found this link ... to info on the original work entitled "The First Supper" by Australian artist Susan Dorothea White ... who writes:
I was inspired to paint The First Supper after Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper, by the narrative drama and magnificent composition of Leonardo's painting. I wanted to challenge the patriarchal concept of thirteen men on one side of a table that is accepted as a celebrated religious symbol. In place of the men, all with similar features, I painted an international group of women.

No comments: