Monday, September 13, 2010

It's Gonna Be A Whirlwind Week!

Nobody to blame but myself, of course. I make my calendar (well, up to a certain point, anyway!)

And -- truth be told -- there's nothing on it this week that I'd take off even if I could.

It's just the confluence of launching a new website next week, starting the new program year, another EIR hearing for the new building, getting ready for Homecoming Sunday, the Lambda Legal Liberty Awards honoring the work of California Faith for Equality AND going off to Phoenix for the House of Bishops meeting that has me feeling ... well, a little "whirly."

So here's the overview:

THE NEW ALL SAINTS WEBSITE is set to launch next weekend ... just in time for Celebration of Ministries Sunday. (September 26th) It's been a long time coming and we have been working with a WONDERFUL team of web designers who really "get" us and it's going to be a huge improvement ... not just in the look-and-feel department but navigation and functionality. Bookmark our URL and check us out next weekend!

Then there's the ongoing saga of our BUILDING PROJECT. We're in the middle of the end of the "comment phase" of the Environmental Impact Report (EIR) process. I guess grueling would be an appropriate adjective. Last week it was the Traffic Advisory Commission, tonight is the Design Commission and next week we go back to the Planning Commission. Anyway, as I said on my Facebook update, there weren't any "surviving a building project" classes in seminary to help with all this but the Lamaze breathing classes I took that didn't help with childbirth are helping a little. So while I'm not exactly "enjoying" this part of the process, if it's what we have to go through to get the new buildings "born" then it's going to be worth it in the end!

Thursday night we'll get gussied up and head over to the Egyptian Theater for the WEST COAST LAMBDA LEGAL LIBERTY AWARDS honoring California Faith for Equality -- a group I'm honored to be affiliated with and grateful for their tireless advocacy for LGBT equality.

Friday morning it's off to Phoenix for the HOUSE OF BISHOPS MEETING where I'll have the honor of being one of the task force presenters for the SCLM C056 project -- responding to the GC2009 resolution that called for the SCLM "in consultation with the House of Bishops, collect and develop theological and liturgical resources" for the blessing of same sex relationships.

We're presenting an overview of the scope of our work on Saturday morning and then going to have the chance to have conversations with the bishops more informally. You can keep up with the progress of the project on the SCLM blog -- and I do invite your prayers for all of those working hard to do this important and exciting work toward continuing to move the church forward on equality for its LGBT baptized!

And then I'll fly home Sunday morning (at what one friend famously called "the crap of dawn") to be back in time for HOMECOMING ... which is a VERY big deal at All Saints Church. We're all gearing up for a "best ever." For memory-lane purposes, here's a look at last year:



Join us if you're in the neighborhood! Services at 7:30, 9, 11:15 & 1pm! Look for me on the lawn ... I'll be the one looking a little "whirled" ... but enjoying every last minute of it all!

2 comments:

Mary said...

When you're having more informal conversations at HoB, I wish you would have a serious 'come to Jesus' talk with mine! He's done a perfect job of avoiding any and all conversation about this 'issue' -- living in fear of...I don't know what. So frustrating! Just when everyone seems to be moving forward, here in this diocese, we're living in quicksand.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

You're doing great work, Susan. Just remember to breathe once in a while.