Thursday, March 05, 2009

So you want to pass propositions to take people's rights away?


Well, all right then ... bring it on!

I'm going to write something substantive about today's oral arguments before the Supreme Court on Proposition 8. Really. Soon. But right now I'm pounded and need to turn my attention to our Vestry/Staff Conference that starts tomorrow morning.
.
So for NOW ... how about this proposition gaining speed on Facebook:
.
Today Ken Starr told the Supreme Court that the voters can take away the right to marry. He also says that we are all "a minority of one." So let's take away HIS right to marry!
.
Here is a proposed constitutional amendment to show him what it's like when his rights are taken away by the tyranny of the majority.

Proposed amendment to the California Constitution:

SECTION 1. Title
This measure shall be known and may be cited as the "‘Be Careful What You Tell the Supreme Court is Legal’ Act."

SECTION 2. Section 7.6 is added to Article I of the California Constitution, to read:

SEC. 7.6. No marriage between the dean of any law school located in Malibu, California, and any other person is valid or recognized in California. Any marriage entered into between such persons before the enactment of this amendment shall be null and void.

(If you're a Facebooker and want to join the "Eliminate Ken Starr's Right to Marry" Group click here.)

6 comments:

ROBERTA said...

I joined!

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh, Susan! Just seeing Ken Starr's name again in print made me wince.

Prayers continue for you and all those who are leading the opposition to Prop 8.

Neil Houghton said...

Prayers for ALL of us on this one... given the fact that it was established that in order to overturn this they had to establish that it was REVISION not just AMENDMENT, the guy from the Attorney General's office was no help! Besides not seeming too well prepared...

Labor On!

Unknown said...

Actually, I'm less concerned about Starr, who did exactly as I expected and, after all, only argued his clients' case; I'm less concerned about him than I am about Justice Kennard. How much GLBT support do you think she's received during her career?

Jeff said...

As much as I like it, I would add the justices of the court to the banned list.

Give them a taste of what we are facing, the loss of the right they discussed so glibly.

Pat Klemme said...

Jeff,
As much as my hurt and anger want to lash out, I try to remember that I can be a more generous and hopeful person than the oppostition. I'm praying for the illumination of the Supremes' minds and the warming of their hearts.
As for Ken Starr, I'm putting his picture in my freezer and praying to God to keep him warm.
Okay, so I don't have that generous and hopeful part down perfectly yet.