Sunday, June 17, 2007

George and Louie and Bill: Reflections on Father's Day


Well, we're back from vacation and I'm venturing back to blogland. There'll be lots to say about life-in general and the State of Anglican Communion/Episcopal Church in the days and weeks to come but today I'm thinking about Father's Day.

We had a Father's Day Double Header at All Saints Church today featuring two great spiritual fathers -- George Regas and Louie Crew: George+ in the pulpit and Louie in the Rector's Forum. George Regas -- our rector emeritus and long-time champion of peace & justice in the Episcopal Church and beyond -- was celebrating the 50th anniversary of his priesthood and shared that journey in a moving sermon to standing ovations at both principal services. And Louie packed the Forum with his reflections on 30+ years in the Episcopal Church -- including memories of his own father's love as an icon of the love of the Father who is the Source of Love itself.

It was a rich, full day ... and one that has caused me to reflect on the memories I have of my own father ... who I was shocked to realize today (math never having been my strong suit) left us 20 years ago now ... in the summer of 1987.

My dad -- Bill Brown -- was born in 1913 in Atlantic City ... the seventh of seven children ... into a family context that Daddy described as "episodically privileged." His father ran "legitimate theaters" and at 16 -- as the Depression gripped the nation -- young Bill left school to make it on his own as an usher in "Roxie's Army" at the Radio City Music Hall.



A few years later he headed west and ended up at the Los Angeles Theater in downtown L.A. ... one of the great old movie palaces ... where he became the manager in the late 1930's ... and where he was working when, as he told it, the Japanese had the gall to bomb Pearl Harbor on his 28th birthday and so he signed up.

He served in the army in Burma, India and China as newsreel photographer and then returned to the L.A. and "theater biz" after the war ... where he met my mom ... who had come west from Minnesota (ya sure you betcha!) and was the head usherette at the grand old theater.


So here we are -- the official vacation photo circa 1960 ... it's one of the ways I remember my dad best ... he loved that trailer and getting out exploring with us ...


... a break from the suit-and-tie part of this life which was his 30+ year career managing theaters in L.A. and then Santa Barbara -- back in the day when a theater manager stood in the lobby and greeted patrons. Daddy never saw a room he couldn't work ... never met someone he wasn't interested in talking to ... and he modeled a deep respect and curiosity about people and places that was one of his great legacies. That and a great tolerance for differences -- respectfully offered -- that was a hallmark of my growing up.


Daddy was a "Goldwater Republican" with strongly held opinions -- and as I turned out to have some pretty strong opinions of my own we had lots of "spirited conversations." I remember friends in college being amazed that I could actually go toe-to-toe with my dad about ... well, George McGovern comes to mind! ... but Daddy was convinced that encouraging us to think for ourselves was part of his job. Love and acceptance in my family wasn't conditioned on agreeing with each other ... and I think maybe that's one of the greatest gifts he gave us.

Here's another picture that is sort of quintessential Bill ... a camera around his neck and a drink in his hand.


Daddy retired in 1977 and he and my mom had ten years of traveling, golfing, and grandparenting ... here he is with my Jamie ... his first of four grandchildren ...


... born between 1981 and 1985. He died in the summer of 1987 after months of failing health ready, he said, to "pack it in" when he could no longer even follow his beloved Dodgers or swing a golf club. A lot has happened in those 20 years and I wish he'd been here to see it all.

Well, most of it. I wish he'd been able to see his grandkids grow up. I wonder if he'd have been as surprised as my mom was that I ended up a priest. I can only imagine how much fun he would have had with digital photography. And I wonder what he'd have to say about what's happened to the Republican Party he valued so much. I think he'd have as little patience with the current president as I do. And know that even if we disagreed we'd be able to go toe-to-toe on it.
.
I know I was blessed to have him for my dad. And on this Father's Day I just wanted to say "Love you, Daddy. Miss you!"

5 comments:

Suzer said...

What a beautiful tribute, Susan. Thank you for sharing it. :)

Anonymous said...

My dad was perfect with us when we were young kids. A little trying time we had when teenage hormones were active but no respect and no dignity were lost. We had the incrdible time till one day dad's heart gave in. We still miss this wonderfull person: he was a blessing. He adopted both of us and he treated as gifts of God's grace ans we returned the grace to him.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

How wonderful and deeply moving, Susan. And, can I just say how much your dad looks like George Regas? Wow!

Anonymous said...

And I wonder what he'd have to say about what's happened to the Republican Party he valued so much.

He would have been shocked and dismayed, and rightly so, I suggest. It's one thing to have different opinions on the Iraq war, immigration, etc. But the Republican Party once stood for small government and for minimizing government's interference in individual's lives. They have abandoned those principles, it seems. There seems to be much less place for Republicans such as Sens. Goldwater and Nelson Rockefeller these days.

I am fortunate enough to have my father still with us, although that time is passing quickly. You did a very nice job here, Susan - I feel as though I learned something about him.

RonF

Anonymous said...

the biggest social problem in the US is the lack of fathers -- the biggest because it's the one that correlates the most closely with all the other social problems (see David Blankhorn's book documenting that).

it's therefore the biggest reason why we shouldn't deliberately create situations where the father doesn't exist