Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Tale of Two Churches


Trinity Episcopal Church (pictured above) and Christ the King (couldn't find a picture) -- both in Santa Barbara, CA -- are featured in this CNN profile story . I thought they did a good, measured job of presenting two perspectives and I appreciated both Brian Cox and Mark Asman as able representatives of their points of view.
.
I note with a certain degree of personal irony that it was Trinity, Santa Barbara I spent my adolescence avoiding attending and it was Christ the King where I spent my early years back-in-the-church going to Cursillo team meetings -- and now Trinity has become a beacon of welcome and vision while former Cursillo colleagues are on CNN using pointing out what that my relationship and vocation are "an abomination."
.
My, my, my!
.
And now, back to our regularly scheduled sermon writing.

1 comment:

JimB said...

"I note with a certain degree of personal irony that it was Trinity, Santa Barbara I spent my adolescence avoiding attending and it was Christ the King where I spent my early years back-in-the-church going to Cursillo team meetings -- and now Trinity has become a beacon of welcome and vision while former Cursillo colleagues are on CNN using pointing out what that my relationship and vocation are "an abomination.""

Irony on irony. I rather wonder how anyone can experience Cursillo and still talk of "abomination" and a godly priest in the same paragraph.

::sigh::

FWIW
jimB