Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Dia de los Muertos at All Saints Church

Here's a peak into what Dia del los Muertos -- "The Day of the Dead" -- looks like at All Saints Church. These are pictures of the chapel altar before the photos were added of loved ones gone before us by those who attended the service last night.
(There are more photos over at the All Saints News Blog)




I wasn't able to be there ... I was off "Keeping the Faith" with California Faith for Equality at an interfaith service of prayer and encouragement for those continuing the struggle for marriage equality.

We had our own great service at Immanual Presbyterian with about a hundred clergy and activists ... but I missed being here to celebrate the lives of those "whose lives are changed, not ended" -- those we've loved, learned from and to whom we are still connected in that great mystery we call "the communion of saints."

Here are a few of the pictures I'd have put on the altar last night if I'd been here instead of there:



Grant to the departed eternal rest, O Lord.
And let light perpetual shine upon them. Amen.

2 comments:

Mitchell said...

Is Immanual Pres. PCUSA?

Just wondering

Caminante said...

Love the photos... this year my church has an ofrenda for the first time, Vermont-style. I wasn't sure how it would be received but so far, people like it.