We're on Consecration Countdown here in the Diocese of Los Angeles ... and as I'm getting lots of questions from around and about the church about details, I figured I'd answer some of the FAQs here:
- Seating for nearly 7,000 will be available at the Long Beach Arena, where doors will open at 12 noon. (Nobody's talking about needing tickets.)
- A celebration gathering featuring music and dance will begin at 12:30 p.m.
- The liturgy itself is set to begin at 1:30 p.m.
- Ample parking, priced at $10 per car, is available at the adjacent Long Beach Convention Center.
- The official host hotel is the Westin Long Beach, where special rates have been negotiated. (Yes, the Long Beach Airport is the closest, but LAX is an easy shuttle away.)
- Clergy wishing to vest and process will want to know that the vestments du jour will be red stole/cassock & surplice
- The diocesan website has more details ... and is threatening to post up a Fact Sheet, Media Credentialling info and Biographies of the bishops-elect any day now
- Finally -- just to make sure everybody is in the loop -- you should know that May 15-16 is Gay Pride Weekend in Long Beach. (And no, I couldn't make that up.)