Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hallmark says "I Do" ...

... to same-sex marriage cards.


I must have missed a meeting -- or an email or something. Probably it was while I was on vacation. But HALLMARK, it turns out, is now getting on the marriage equality bandwagon and producing cards celebrating marriage AND appropriate for same-sex weddings.

Here's a link to the August 21st NBC News story which I evidently missed. (Better late than never, I figure.)

My reaction, predictably, is "good for them."

The American Family Association's reaction, predictablly, is "not so much."

From their website is this suggested letter to send to Hallmark President Donald Hall:

Dear Chairman Hall:

I am surprised that Hallmark is promoting an unhealthy lifestyle which is illegal in 48 states. There was a time Hallmark told us to send the very best. Sorry to see you have taken a giant step down. No more. American Greeting Cards, your competitor, will be getting my business.



Yuck!

So I figure if we've been listening all these years during the Hallmark Hall of Fame, then we know that you send a Hallmark card ... "when you care enough to send the very best" -- and WE should care enough to let the folks at Hallmark know that they shouldn't be bullied by a bunch of homophobic bigots.

And -- speaking of same -- thanks to the American Family Association, we've got the Hallmark contact info at our fingertips:

Corporate number:
816-274-5111

Email address:
Donald J. Hall, Chairman

Snail mail address:
Donald J. Hall, Chairman
Hallmark Cards
2501 McGee Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64108

Ready ... Set ... GO!!!

.

11 comments:

John said...

From the AFA's announcement on this, "American Greeting Cards, Hallmark’s competitor, does not offer same-sex marriage cards." ...yet.

The Nea(nderthal)-Cons at the AFA are in for a rude surprise if they think that a profit-driven enterprise such as American Greetings will ignore a growing unsupplied market such as this. Right behind the same-sex wedding cards, expect to see same-sex appropriate anniversary cards start appearing.

The AFA's silly whack-job boycott announcements are actually somewhat useful to me. They let me know those businesses which I should be patronizing.

Fran said...

I had no idea! Good for them!

And they should be affirmed for being affirming.

Ostrich said...

While of course I agree with your sentiments I suspect the only thing which drove Hallmark into this new arena is what is known this side of the pond as the pink pound. But then again I am, by virtue of my nationality, naturally cynical.

Brother David said...

I wrote Hallmark by email and CCd the letter to American Greetings Customer Relations.

As usual the AFA resorts to distortion and lies to spread their "Christian" message. I guess they do not trust truth so they resort to the end justifying the means.

As far as I can tell, homosexuality is not illegal in any of the 50 US states, per the ruling regarding Texas by your Federal Supreme Court. The other side of the issue is that currently same sex marriage is legal in only two states and in the other 48 only heterosexual marriage is legal. That is not the same as being illegal.

Brother David said...

Mother Susan, my email was returned. The AFA site reports that Hallmark has closed down that email address.

Cany said...

I just sent my letter. Hope it doesn't get returned, but if it does, we just have to find out how to resend them.

Ideas?

Cany said...

David is absolutely right. Mine was returned, too... mmm. Nother addy?

Sally D said...

Letter to Hallmark: Congratulations to Hallmark for seeing a gap in the market and responding creatively.

That is why people buy your cards - because they are creative and bring pleasure. Not because they are politically correct!

I notice that the AFA thinks same-sex unions are "illegal" in most US states - well they're not illegal in my country, South Africa, or in many others where Hallmark is sold.

And not even in the USA, unless we're saying that "not yet legally supported" = "illegal". AFA might be surprised to realise that in the 21st century people in civilised countries don't get arrested for forming voluntary unions with same sex partners!

Go Hallmark and take no notice of those people!

Sally D
Cape Town (straight, married, occasional buyer of Hallmark cards)

JimB said...

My letter via snail mail


Mr. Donald Hall, Chairman
Hallmark Cards
2501 McGee Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64108

Dear Mr. Hall:

I have learned today that your email address has been taken down in apparent response the action of, “The American Family Association,” a group of self appointed guardians of what they claim is, “traditional values.” I should like to make three short observations:

1. The association is neither Christian nor particularly large. They have a vocal, easily misled and Biblically illiterate constituency.
2. The decision to offer cards for same gender couples is an appropriate business decision and will be warmly welcomed by a great many of your customers.
3. I am one of many Americans who treat a boycott by this group as an indication that I should patronize a company and consider AFA a cyber-terrorist group.

Thank your four your corporate standards and business practices.

J. A. Beyer, Senior Principal Consultant

Richard said...

I just got an e-mail that Hallmark had decided to put the same-sex marriage cards on hold due to the large amount of flak they got.

Some stores already have them, but they aren't on the shelves, so you have to ask for them.

Bummer!

IT said...

Where can we send the following email?

Dear hallmark,
I will be very happy to patronize your stores and buy your cards when you provide same sex marriage cards.

As long as you are afraid to provide cards that speak to my life, Ii'm afraid I won't buy your cards.

Yours sincerely,

IT