Friday, October 17, 2008

Grace in Action

Today's my day off -- the first one I've had in a little longer than I want to admit. And so I'm off to a self-indulgent start: doing some blog-surfing in between bill paying while the laundry and dishwasher happily hum in the background.

Later I'll head out to enjoy the beautiful-day-in-the-neighborhood and hopefully take in a movie with my sweetie this evening. Oh ... and a haircut. I most DEFINITELY need a haircut.

But first I wanted to post up this opportunity to invite you into a little taste of what mission and ministry at All Saints Church in Pasadena looks like:




These are members of our Prayer Shawl Ministry. The pictures are from our Celebration of Ministries Sunday a few weeks ago, but there's also a 3 minute video that just went out to parish members this week as one of our stewardship witnesses.

I'd love for you to watch it. It came via email with this note from our rector, Ed Bacon:

I invite you to enjoy the following short video. It tells the story of our prayer shawl ministry, which makes the prayers of the parish tangible in the shawls that bring warmth and comfort to people in need. Together this video and the community of spirit that produced it are invitations to inspiration and calls for commitment. Your support of All Saints Church makes this important Pastoral Care ministry possible.
.
So settle back and take 3 minutes to see the side of All Saints Church that isn't about the stuff you usually read about us ... the powerful pastoral work that goes on 24/7 in Pasadena and beyond as we work to turn the human race into the human family -- with our politics AND with our prayer shawls!

.

4 comments:

Amie said...

Thank you for the link, Susan.

We are trying to start a Prayer Shawl ministry here. I have a number of women intersted and am trying to gather information. I think I will show the video during announcements on Sunday.

Love and Prayers,
Ann Marie

JCF said...

A local prayer shawl ministry made a shawl for my mother shortly after she was diagnosed w/ ALS (they made one for my father, too): it was one of the last things she was wrapped in, when she died a year ago.

I tremendously grateful for those (of both sexes!) who make these lovely, blessed and useful shawls.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this video with us all. I've passed this along to the knitting ministry at our parish!

uffda51 said...

This is a GREAT ministry. I've been a shawl recipient and am so grateful to be part of this community of faith.