Saturday, April 07, 2012

The Mystery of Holy Saturday


On this Holy Saturday
as we stand between the two mysteries of faith --
Christ has died and Christ is risen --
it is another kind of mystery to me
that the very Jesus
who gave his life to show us how to love each other
has had that message too often
hijacked and transformed into a weapon
deployed to dominate each other.

It is a mystery to me
that the king whose throne was a cross
and whose dying words were
“My God, forgive them
for they do not know what they are doing”
has been replaced with a judge
whose message is
“My God will not forgive you
unless you are doing it my way.”

Here's hoping the power of the resurrection will free us not only from the fear of death but from the fear of "the other" -- and empower the Church to walk in love as Christ loved us. All of us.

Onward to Easter!

No comments: