Monday, February 26, 2007

A Cloud of Witnesses

Words of hope, challenge and inspiration from a variety of sources today leave me giving thanks for the veritable "cloud of witnesses" that have surrounded me today!

From an email today from the Bishop of New Hampshire:

As I have said before, and will continue to say: JESUS is our agenda – the saving sacrifice of Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for our sins, and the sins of the whole world, so that we might know God’s love and goodness in our lives. In the end, God will reign, and all will be well. I believe that with my whole heart.

From a new blog recommended by Jim Naughton over at Daily Episcopalian:

To be talked ABOUT instead of talked TO is an abomination that I just can't stomach. If Bps. Duncan, Epting and McPherson went to Dar Es Salaam along with Bp. Jefferts-Schori, then why on earth couldn't Bp. Robinson have gone too? Are we homosexuals just that scary? How can you give witness to what's happening with God's gay and lesbian children if NOT ONE OF THEM GETS TO SPEAK?

And from the psalm appointed for Lent 2/Year C -- Psalm 27 -- which we prayed together at our Noon Eucharist here at All Saints Church today:

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom then shall I fear? *
the Lord is the strength of my life;
of whom then shall I be afraid?

2 When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh, *
it was they, my foes and my adversaries, who
stumbled and fell.

3 Though an army should encamp against me, *
yet my heart shall not be afraid;

4 And though war should rise up against me, *
yet will I put my trust in him.

5 One thing have I asked of the Lord;
one thing I seek; *
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days
of my life;

6 To behold the fair beauty of the Lord *
and to seek him in his temple.
7 For in the day of trouble he shall keep me safe
in his shelter; *
he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
and set me high upon a rock.

8 Even now he lifts up my head *
above my enemies round about me.

9 Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
with sounds of great gladness; *
I will sing and make music to the Lord.

10 Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call; *
have mercy on me and answer me.

11 You speak in my heart and say, “Seek my face.” *
Your face, Lord, will I seek.

12 Hide not your face from me, *
nor turn away your servant in displeasure.

13 You have been my helper;
cast me not away; *
do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.

14 Though my father and my mother forsake me, *
the Lord will sustain me.

15 Show me your way, O Lord; *
lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.

16 Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries, *
for false witnesses have risen up against me,
and also those who speak malice.

17 What if I had not believed
that I should see the goodness of the Lord *
in the land of the living!

18 O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
be strong, and he shall comfort your heart; *
wait patiently for the Lord

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A loud "AMEN" for the Bishop from New Hampshire! The Gospel of Christ is our agenda. Time will reveal that the agenda of the Global South Primates and their American counterparts is POWER. The issue of sexuality is only the means for their true purpose of gaining power and controlling TEC.