Wednesday, February 14, 2007

WAY too good not to share!

MAJOR "hat tip" to Jim Naughton over at Daily Episcoplian -- a gentleman, a scholar AND a baseball fan -- who offers this little contextual quote on the authority of Scripture definitely not from one of the "usual suspects" in the current debate:

"In matters that are so obscure and far beyond our vision, we find in Holy Scripture passages which can be interpreted in very different ways without prejudice to the faith we have received. In such cases, we should not rush in headlong and so firmly take our stand on one side that, if further progress in the search for truth justly undermines this position, we too fall with it."

Yes, it's that radical revisionist himself: Augustine of Hippo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rev. Susan Russell, you are truly a blessing not only to All Saints, to my gay brothers and sisters whom love God, also, a wonderful lady, priest, mother and Christian leader, I finally found your blog. An inch at a time, I was in the closet (born and raised Roman Catholic, so everything I thought and did, "I was going to hell". I am a Vietnam Era Veteran, worked for 30 years and it wasn't till my one and only partner of five years passed of complications to AIDS (wasting syndrome, 1992-1993, working, flying home to be with him, sleeping next to his hospital bed, giving him love, support, many visits to drs. appts. (no anti retrovial drugs yet). So after his death I finally came out of the closet, (I worked for one of the largest Healthcare companies for 10 years in corporate human resources), and after I shared the death of my partner, not one of my co-workers turned their backs on me, they loved me still, it was me. Some of them were Jewish, Asian, Anglo/saxon, African-America etc. and now I am free to worship God with so many Christians who do not discriminate or hate, but show love, mercy and grace. "AN INCH AT A TIME". Thank you Susan for all that you are, all that you do, and a shining example of God's inclusive love. Via Con Dios (Go With God). Peace, Joe