Sunday, February 26, 2012

Just for the record:

There is a critical difference between feeling discriminated against because you’re disagreed with and being discriminated against ecause of who you are.

And there is a critical difference between people who feel that their marriage is being threatened if the lesbian couple next door can get married and the lesbian couple next door whose marriage is being threatened by ballot initiatives taking away their fundamental right to marriage, by a governor vetoing marriage equality passed by their elected representatives and by a “Defense of Marriage Act” (DOMA) that denies them 1138 federally protected rights their next door neighbors claimed the moment they said “I do."

(excerpt from blog on bigotry, Coming Soon to a Huffington Post page near you)

2 comments:

Tina P said...

I would like to say thank you. I have been looking to return from a long hiatus from attending church. Being raised in a Pentecostal home, being gay wasn't an option. After 27 years, living a lie was no longer an option either. While searching the website of a local church, I found a link to your blog. It is both comforting and reaffirming to know that not every church views my life as an abomination. My partner, of nearly 11 years, and I hope that one day our relationship will be a legally recognized marriage.

JCF said...

Wherever you live, TinaP, I hope there's an Episcopal Church, to welcome you WITH your partner! [And I hope you and your spouse will be legally recognized as such, too. Washington State, Maryland: we're getting more and more places every day! :-)]