Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sad news

A few hours ago I saw a note on Twitter that feminist theologian Mary Daly died this morning. Still no confirmation in any of the news sources, but this blog post includes an email from "reliable source" WATER blogger Mary Hunt:

With a heavy heart, yet grateful beyond words for her life and work, I report that Mary Daly died this morning, January 3, 2010 in Massachusetts. She had been in poor health for the last two years.

Her contributions to feminist theology, philosophy, and theory were many, unique, and if I may say so, world-changing. She created intellectual space; she set the bar high. Even those who disagreed with her are in her debt for the challenges she offered.

When I return from vacation at week’s end I will post more. But I want WATER colleagues, of which she was a stalwart one, to know this now. She always advised women to throw our lives as far as they would go. I can say without fear of exaggeration that she lived that way herself.

May her spirit soar and her ideas endure.

Mary E. Hunt
Hoechenschwand, Germany


====

May she rest in peace and rise in glory!

No comments: