Monday, December 04, 2006

A Busy Monday in the Blogsophere

From Pierre Whalon's "Anglicans Online" essay: Alive and Well
The Anglican Communion is alive and well … and living in Rome. And in Europe. And elsewhere as well. Away, in fact, to the ends of the earth.
Read it all here

From Katie Sherrod's "Desert's Child" blog: Let The Whining Begin
One of the most elementary life lessons that parents give their children is that actions have consequences. Yes, you CAN hit your brother, but if you do, you WILL be in time out. Yes, you CAN throw food on the floor, but if you do, you WILL clean it up and mop the floor. This is a lesson that many adults in The Episcopal Church have somehow missed. Their version of this lesson is, “I get to do anything I want, make any mess I want, say anything I want, change any rules I want, ignore any vows I took, shirk any responsibilities I have, and still get to be a full member of the church with all the privileges that pertain to that membership. And I get to do this because I’m right and pure and you’re not and if you try to make me follow the rules I will scream and whine and hold my breath ‘til I turn blue.”
Read it all here

From Dylan Breuer's "Sarah Laughed" very through and interesting analysis:
increasing chaos among breakaway movements
If the subtle and not-so-subtle sniping and competition among those most vociferously proclaiming themselves the guardians of the orthodoxy and koinonia at the heart of the Windsor Report's most helpful exhortations is any indication of what the family of Anglican churches would be like if they had authority to implement their proposals without deep, lengthy, and broad consultation, I think that our current and very messy polity is the better course.
Read it all here

Finally, this lovely meditation for World AIDS Day that I just had the chance to read today ... from John Kirkley's "meditatio": The Healing of the Centurion's Boyfriend
Isn’t that ultimately the message of the Cross? How large and powerful God’s love is, willing to suffer with us, with us Centurions and our boyfriends, with us who are sick and dying, whether from AIDS or something yet to be revealed, all of us frail mortals upon whom God lavishes such devoted care. That Love will always heal us, though not always in ways that we can anticipate or control.
Read it all here.

2 comments:

Renee in Ohio said...

I'm looking for suggestions of poems, songs, or other short pieces of writing that would be suitable for reflection along with our Advent candle lighting. I'd like to find a few things that are more generally invocative of the *themes* of Advent, but without the overtly religious language, in order to make it more accessible to my son, who is not a believer. (But I convinced him to come "along for the ride", by plying him with the little candies in the Advent calendar.)

Off to give some finals...

Religious Left Blog

Hiram said...

You have a great description of the reappraisers: "I get to do anything I want, make any mess I want, say anything I want, change any rules I want, ignore any vows I took, shirk any responsibilities I have, and still get to be a full member of the church with all the privileges that pertain to that membership. And I get to do this because I’m right and pure and you’re not and if you try to make me follow the rules I will scream and whine and hold my breath ‘til I turn blue.”

That is how the changes in Church teaching and practice came about.